If you have been injured in an accident with a drunk driver, you are like looking to hold this party liable for their actions to recover compensation for your damages. It is imperative that you retain the services of a knowledgeable and skilled Atlanta drunk driving accident lawyer who will work to obtain evidence to support your personal injury claim and will fight to recover the compensation you deserve to heal.
To learn the dram shop laws in Georiga and the steps you should take following an accident with a drunk driver, continue reading and reach out to our firm.
What are dram shop laws?
Under Georgia’s dram shop law, when someone is injured in an accident by a drunk driver, they will be able to sue both the driver and the establishment that served the driver, under certain conditions. Dram shop laws state that if an establishment serves an induvial who is noticeably intoxicated, under the age of 21, or who is known to be leaving the establishment in a motor vehicle, and this person goes on to cause an accident and injure another person, the victim can sue both the driver and the establishment that served the driver.
What should I do after being injured in an accident with a drunk driver?
It is essential that you take the following steps after being injured in an accident with a drunk driver to increase your chances of recovering the financial compensation you deserve:
- Alert the authorities. The police will write up an accident report to document the accident. They will also likely breathalyzer the individual who caused your accident which will significantly assist your personal injury claim.
- Seek immediate medical treatment.
- Collect all medical documentation relating to your treatment. These documents should include the date, time, and severity of your injuries.
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident including damage and your injuries.
- If there were any witnesses to your accident, collect their contact information.
- Retain the services of an experienced and skilled Atlanta injury lawyer who will work to satisfy the burden of proof to recover the compensation you require to heal and move forward with your life.
What is the statute of limitations for personal injury claims after a drunk driver accident in Atlanta?
The statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Georiga is generally two years. This means that you will have two years from the date of your accident to file your claim. To get started today, give our firm a call.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
Jones & Jones has assisted hundreds of clients throughout the years. Our legal team handles injury and criminal matters in Georgia. Whether you need an Atlanta personal injury lawyer or criminal defense attorney, we are equipped to protect your rights. Contact The Jones & Jones Law Group today.